Online social networking is an effective way to communicate and build community, regardless of where individuals live. Social networking allows for an exchange of information and insights and can create bonds among individuals with a shared experience in common.
In a patient advocacy community, social networking can help forge relationships among those living with a chronic condition and can foster peer-to-peer support, training and inspiration that can lead to personal empowerment and community development.
The benefits of a social networking platform for patients and caregivers are many. However, for a social networking platform to function in a way that serves the community and protects the participants, a code of conduct must be followed by all participants.
The respect, safety and protection of NEA Ambassadors are our highest priority; as such, NEA has developed the following for the NEA Ambassadors Platform. Failure by an Ambassador to follow the code of conduct guidelines below will result in immediate termination of their NEA Ambassadorship.
NEA Ambassadors Platform Code of Conduct:
- Be considerate, respectful and collaborative.
- Do not provide medical advice. Ever.
- Consider the benefit of your post before posting. If there is none, refrain from posting.
- Use this platform to share your ambassador experiences with your fellow Ambassadors.
- Do not judge experiences, ideas or opinions of fellow Ambassadors.
- Do not post commercial messages. This is not a forum to self-promote or represent another entity.
- Do not speak on behalf of NEA or the eczema community – what you share is your personal experience.
- Do not post any non-NEA promotional material, special offers, conferences, product announcements or solicitations. NEA reserves the right to remove such messages and potentially ban sources of those solicitations.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive or illegal materials are strictly prohibited, will be removed immediately and ambassadorship revoked.
- Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
Consequences of unacceptable behavior:
- Unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated.
- Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
- If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, NEA may take any action they deem appropriate, at their sole discretion, up to and including expulsion from the community.
What to do if you witness or are subject to unacceptable behavior:
- If you are subjected to unacceptable behavior, notice that someone else is being subjected to unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please email email@example.com as soon as possible. All reports will remain completely confidential.
- We expect all NEA Ambassadors to abide by this code of conduct at all online or in-person events. Participants asked to stop a hostile or harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. NEA Ambassadors seek to learn, network and have fun. Please do so responsibly and with respect to others.
Note: This code of conduct is a living document that will change as the Ambassador Program grows. If you feel that something is missing, please don’t hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org.